Skip to main content

Hidden Voices- Lauren and Endometriosis

"Hidden Voices" is a blog series placing the spotlight on some incredible people that I know and love. These people are incredibly talented and creative and are building successful careers for themselves- whilst juggling a lifelong condition that is often hidden or unseen.

Last year when I spoke out about my experience of Tourettes it liberated me and gave me a great opportunity. I wanted to offer the same platform to others to come out of hiding like I did.  I have interviewed 5 people I know, who all have a hidden disability. Hidden sometimes by choice and sometimes hidden because of the nature of the condition. I hope you enjoy reading these honest and eye-opening posts and that you too feel inspired to come out of hiding and share your true self!

This first interview is with one of my best friends... In my eyes she is a super woman that juggles day to day challenges with her health, whilst being one of the most hard working and bad-ass chicks I know!

What's your name? Lauren Flook

What do you do for job? Occupational Therapist

What do you do for the pure love of it? Create, write and cook.

Do you have a disability that you would consider as a hidden disability?
Would you be up for sharing a bit about your experience of this?

I have Endometriosis (I can actually spell it now). An inflammatory disease that is linked to the female menstrual cycle, nice!  A condition that isn't recognised as a disability, despite recognition that it can be debilitating.

Sometimes I wish it was recognised for myself, as I don't feel I have permission to have bad days, the cant get out of bed days. I am quite open with others that I have it, as I feel it is important to spread it's awareness, but equally if I told no one, no one would know. Mine is what is known as deep infiltrating endometriosis, which has been likened to an iceberg where it grows deep into the tissue, (although I see an iceberg as being something quite awesome, and this isn't).

It impacts women in different ways, some will experience very little pain, some may be unable to go about their day, it can cause infertility but in my case I have had two wonderful boys after having surgery. I feel like I am the somewhere in between, there are days I can't do much, then other times I have a surge of energy and feel like I could do loads, I will just pay for it the next day usually.

I NEVER! Let it show at work, mainly because it's such a difficult disease to explain, without having to talk about periods etc, that I would rather just say ‘I have a headache’ and take some painkillers.


If you could squeeze the world up into ball of of plasticine and remould it, what would it look like? What would be the biggest change you would make in our society?

That people can see everyone's challenges as equal and stop comparing disability. The term ‘well at least your not’ makes me turn into the Hulk. You wouldn't compare a bloody toad with a hippo, so stop comparing disability! Everyone's challenges may feel like a mountain to them and everyone will experience life and all its ups and downs in a different ways.


Do you feel hidden because you hide intentionally or does your disability just go unnoticed?

I would say it goes unnoticed, although my nearest and dearest, who have seen the disease unleash its nasty wrath, would say, it is very visible.


If you could make one invention that would make a part of your life a little smoother, what would it be? (welcome to draw a piccy).

A clone of me so that I could send it to work and ask it to keep my children entertained while I curl up in a ball at home :).


Does your disability give you a gift? (e.g  I feel my disability can give me tools for movement ideas…and it makes my mum and dad laugh when I say inappropriate things.)

The gift of resilience, my husband calls me a battleaxe because I will just plough on despite the difficulties.


What just really gets your goat!!!???

I know all disease is frustrating, but this is a pain in my backside (quite literally) annoying.   Mainly because I don't think people quite get it, I have had people say ‘oh yeh is that the disease where you get painful periods’. Well yeh, if you class being in pain three weeks out of each month, having permanent fatigue and being in so much pain you can't walk and it hurting to take a pee, then yeh, call it a  “painful period”.


Can you tell me what projects you are involved in at the moment and how others might be able to get involved? 

Endometriosis Uk has lots of local groups and can be a great resource. I am currently in the process of doing some research from an occupational perspective, on how it impacts people in daily life, as I don't think there is yet to be anything published by an OT.


You inspire me a great deal! Could you tell me someone that inspires you and your favourite quote by them…

‘If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid’ Einstein.

I love this quote because it says something that I wholey believe and that is that we should always acknowledge- people's strengths and not put so much enthuses on what a person can't do.


(I love this picture, toddler in hand, baby in my tummy, I feel hugely lucky that I have carried them despite that area of my body being so completely wrecked!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brewing in the Basement

As I sat and sipped my coffee in a trendy London cafe, I reflected on an incredible night of Theatre hosted by Jess Thom the Tourettes Hero. If you don't know Jess Thom, she is a super hero.   She is a super hero with Tourette Syndrome, she is is one of my idols. (Check out the link for more on Jess and her adventures:  https://www.touretteshero.com/) Here in this moment I felt a real sense of contentment as I pondered what I was going to bring back to Plymouth from this amazingly positive experience at the Pit Party. I felt inspired and wished all events and theatre shows were like this.  My brother and I went to the London Barbican Centre to attend the Touretteshero Pit Party- Brewing in the Basement. This hands down, was the best theatre experience I have ever had.  I was beyond excited to the point where I completely let go with my TS and I felt 100% welcome, accepted and 'normal'.  The whole evening was BSL interpreted, there was a resting plac

Tic Files

I have Tourette Syndrome...and I want to learn more about it. I also want to spread awareness of this often misrepresented condition.  I have obsessively watched documentaries, youtube videos, read blogs, books...and no TS experience is the same or like mine, because it is different for everyone.  So I guess I am going to use this very self indulgent blog to explore TS... my TS, and hope that I educate people along the way. Like any disability or condition most people find it hard to describe what they experience or *tic* one box when it comes to explaining it. It's a beautiful spectrum of colour and uniqueness. To keep myself in check and so that I don’t babble on about all sorts of nonsense, I am going to have 3 key themes: Information and awareness: - When I started searching on the internet about TS pre to my diagnosis,  I didn’t find a lot of information that related to my version!  I want to add into the mix of what is out there on the world wide web and

Hidden Voices- Grace and Eczema

This is the third interview of my blog series 'Hidden Voices.' Hidden Voices shines a spotlight on talented local people based in and around Plymouth (and Cornwall for this interview!) This blog gives a platform for those who wish to talk about an element of their life that they keep secret or hide from society. The more I speak out about TS the more I gain understanding of it. When I speak to people or write about it,  I feel like I can be comfortable with with it, I get to know it. I can also see parallels between different conditions and the experiences can be so similar. Speaking loud and proud about my condition has given me opportunities to connect to a diverse community of people and it has given me a whole new perspective to the work I create.  Since posting and vlogging I have had a fair amount of people come to me saying that it has inspired them to ‘come out’ about something they might have been hiding. This is the inspiration behind this blog series.